Sunday, December 7, 2008

Nelscott Reef

Last weekend, I checked the surf report before heading out for a run with Sarah in Forest Park in Portland, and I nearly turned around and headed home to grab my wetsuit and boards.

11' west swell at a 20 second interval. A 5 knot East wind (that would be offshore here on the west coast).

Soon after, I got a phone call from Richard Hallman of Hood River telling me that the annual Nelscott Reef big wave surf contest had been confirmed for the following day, when the swell was to be even bigger... and that I should grab my gear and head over to the coast.

The following morning anticipation ran high as the competitors gathered at the beach to check their gear, launch the jet skis, and head out to the break. The Nelscott Reef is a a deep water wave that breaks a half of a mile offshore from Lincoln City. It takes the perfect conditions to create a wave that is rideable and the organizers again made a great call. Surfers from as far away as Australia, Brazil, and Hawaii were able to show up in time for the event, as well as big wave veteran teams like Mike Parsons and Brad Gerlach, and Garrett McNamara and Keali'i Mamala formake. Some of the local visual artists present to document the contest were Richard Hallman, Lance Koudele, Sam Drevo and myself. In years past, this event was all tow-in surfing, but I was especially excited to see how the surfers would fare in this year's paddle-in division.

After hanging out on the beach for a while shooting photos, Keali'i offered a ride out to the wave so I grabbed my gear and we headed out to reef. I tranferred over to a ski with Richard and shot for the rest of the afternoon. I only had a wide angle port for my water housing, so I decided risk it and shoot without protection any for my camera gear except a plastic rain sleeve to ward off the spray. We had a few close calls, especially in the impact zone during one of the bigger sets of the afternoon when Jamie Mitchell of Australia paddled into a massive bomb and Keali'i dropped in the next one which turned out to be the winning wave for the paddle in division. Richard was a great driver and we managed to get over the shoulder just in time.

I am grateful for the opportunity to be out there! Here are a few images from the action.


Tools of the trade: the Parsons/Gerlach quiver


Mike Parsons paddling in and making the drop

Jamie Mitchell's big one--2nd place paddle in

(following 3 images) Keali'i Mamala on his winning drop for the paddle-in division










8 comments:

Stray Cat said...

Felt inspired after viewing your fantastic pics. Thanks for sharing! Aloha

Tom said...

Awesome

Dan Higgins said...

Holy *%##! Ben! What a great shoot! Fun, Scary-- and you came home with some great shots. Thanks for sharing.

Anne Skidmore said...

Nice work Moon! Beautiful! And looks horrifying!

Jeff said...

Nice work Ben! It's funny, I was just talking to Richard about the contest a couple of nights ago when I was in Hood River. I didn't know you guys new each other. Small world!

Unknown said...

Sounds like the best job evah

Unknown said...

I am attempting to run my own blog but I think its too general and I want to focus more on smaller topics. Being all things to all people is not all that its cracked up to be.

Advantage Term Papers – We do it your way

家瑋 said...

讓人流連忘返,真期待新文章發表!.................................................................